Board :Tales of the People
Author :Archon Iyagi
Subject :"One rainy night" by Sabo
Date :9/12
As I walked through the damp grass before me, the sky above shattered with a burst of lightning. The low growl of thunder that followed greeted me like an old friend. The dark blanket of clouds ran on for as far as the eye could see, and a steady downpour bathed me as I shivered to keep out the cold.

Ahead of me lay a large cliff face, looking out over a vast an angry sea. Some may say this weather is miserable, but I've always found it comforting as it matches this wretch of a man.

As I reached the cliff side, I looked at the waves crashing into the rocks. So powerful, yet no matter how hard they tried to stop themselves, there were forces against their will to end their torrential journey by a smash upon the rocks. How ironic...

How did I come to this? I was a lost soul in my youth. I was living on the streets, stealing pettily in order to survive. One fateful day, I stole from the wrong man though. In order to keep my hand, I was forced into the service of a notorious gang that ran the backstreets of Buya.

To be honest, it started out rather well. I'd steal larger amounts, they'd take a cut. But in return, I was clothed and fed, and I had companionship. Yes, that was nice...

I remember when it all went wrong though, as clear as the illuminating electric currents that grace the sky this night. The boss had a job that needed to be done. Taking that man's possessions was a given, but to be blunt, the boss did not want this man walking away from the encounter. I remember walking away from that mans house, covered in blood, praying for rain to wash away what I had done.

Unfortunately for me, I was too successful in my venture. These jobs started to become a regular occurrence. I went from a lost boy to a lost man in a few short years. One that I hate.

The wind howled through my wet clothes as I looked out upon the horizon. The faces of the people I've killed rush through my mind, tormenting and taunting. Tonight I have decided to change myself, to give up the life I knew. I unbelt my sword, and throw it down into the water below. The satisfying clang of it being thrown into the rocks brings a smile to my face. I know the powerful current will drag it out into the depths, never to take another life.

Closing my eyes, the smile remains on my face. How did it come to this?

I take another step, and find only air beneath my foot. The sounds of the waves gets closer and closer, but my smile continues.

-Sabo-